August 31, 2018 Brethren Letter
Regarding the subject of marriage, clearly, we must understand why it’s important to have our physical marriages be in-line with the scriptures. Ephesians 5:32 makes this very plain! “This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the Church.”
Last week, I sent a list of various ways husbands can express love toward their wives. This week I’m sending my notes from a Church of God Bible study given in 1981 on the “Proverbs 31, woman.”
Have a wonderful Sabbath!
Your Brother in Christ,
The Virtuous Woman (Proverbs 31:10-31)
(March 3, 1981 Mr. Bob Jones, Minister)
- Valuable Information on Chapter Layout
- Lemuel is probably Solomon
- The chapter is an acrostic – the Hebrew alphabet has 22 characters; from vs. 10-31, each verse begins in order, with the letter of the Hebrew alphabet
- Verse by Verse Description (Proverbs 31:10-31)
- Vs. 10-12: whoever marries such a woman knows her worth is VERY great. (More precious than rubies) Her husband can trust her to do tasks, as she also respects his leadership. The converted wife will do her husband good; will support and uphold him!
- Vs 13: A wife should know which fabrics are good and long lasting
- Vs. 14: Be a bargain hunter and buy better foods for the family
- Vs. 15: Wife arises early – is not idle, nor wastes time
- Vs. 16: Has business sense, knows an opportunity, capable of making decisions. Plants a garden and tends it.
- Vs. 17: Works vigorously
- Vs. 18-19: has experience and knows her decisions and works are good – she is very hospitable. Capable seamstress with ability.
- Vs. 20: Shows open-handed generosity – very giving, with balance
- Vs.21-22: Always makes sure her family has warm and appropriate clothing for the weather, and she herself dresses as nicely as possible, without trying to outdo anyone else
- Vs. 23: The inspiration of a converted wife helps him to grow enough to sit with “the elders” of “the gate”
- Vs. 24-25: Her merchandise is so fine, it sells and brings in extra money. Important thing is her CHARACTER. She needs not worry, for she has prepared for the future.
- Vs. 26: Virtuous woman has common sense, wisdom, and speaks correctly – keeping the well-being of individuals in mind
- Vs. 27: She is not idle! Her children respect her and her husband. Also she is worthy of this love, respect and pride
- Vs. 28-30 a graceful exterior is no measure of a woman’s character. “Beauty is only skin deep.” Seek advice from ladies older than you. They have a greater store of knowledge. Remember too – Talk to God, Pray & Study DAILY!
- Vs. 31: Give her credit men, for what she accomplishes! This is very important!!!!! Prov 31:31 Praise her for the many fine things she does. These good deeds of hers shall bring her honor and recognition from people of importance.
Ambassador College Notes:
Summary of Virtuous Woman:
This woman is strong – physically and in character. She has a serenity, which can come only from effective planning, diligent effort and consistently good personal habits. She has learned well the art of loving and supporting her husband in any situation, from intimate to public. She can feel confident in her own and family’s appearance because she has learned the secret of combining quality with best looks. She has mastered the household arts well enough that there is time for perfecting skills which bring monetary reward – thus increasing her family’s quality of life. She is not totally wrapped up in only personal or family affairs – she helps out those who are less blessed. Obviously, her home and family reflect her own character because their appreciation is spontaneous. But most important, she knows that true femininity rests upon her relationship with God – not on physical appearance or behavior.