February 17, 2017 Brethren Letter
Over thirty years ago, my wife and I had the opportunity to visit the Grand Canyon in Arizona. We were awestruck by its size, depth and beauty. After seeing such splendor, we both thought, “How in the world could anyone even BEGIN to say that there is no God?”
(20) For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
(21) because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
(22) Professing to be wise, they became fools (Romans 1:20-22).
The Grand Canyon is over 200 miles long, 6 miles wide and 1 mile deep. God’s infinite power and might are on display every moment of the day.
One thing tourists discover quickly is that there are protective railings throughout the park. They’re designed to prevent injuries or deaths resulting from a fall. Sadly, some people disregard those warnings and climb over the top of the rails. About one person a month (on average), dies from a fall. In fact, a gift shop employee also died about the time we visited the Canyon. During her lunch break, she too climbed over a rail to get a “better look” at the Canyon. She had become very COMPLACENT.
God’s late apostle, Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong, warned us over and over that time was short. Clearly, Mr. Armstrong believed that events leading up to Christ’s return would happen far sooner than they have. “For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened” (Matthew 24:21-22).
Mr. Armstrong died in 1986. There are Biblical events that have not happened yet. Does that mean they won’t? Does God not keep His WORD? Remember, God CANNOT and WILL NOT lie! (Numbers 23:19; Titus 1:2.) Never should WE become complacent or lulled to sleep, spiritually. Clearly, in our day, there are those who think that Christ’s return has been substantially delayed. “But if that evil servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming’… (Matthew 24:48). Christ was not talking to the “WORLD” in this verse. He was speaking to His disciples and He’s speaking to US today!
(36) “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
(37) But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
(38) For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
(39) and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
(40) Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.
(41) Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.
(42) Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.
(43) But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.
(44) Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
(45) “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? (Matthew 24: 36-45).
I think of the young lady who died at the Grand Canyon when we were there. She didn’t seriously heed the warnings (the protective railings), any longer. She fell to her death! This employee of all people, should have known better. She was careless. Spiritually, we can’t afford to let that happen. God has a tremendous reward reserved for us, if we remain ALERT. (Matthew 24:13). TIME IS SHORT! Our reward is ahead. “Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods” (Matthew 24: 46-47).
Please have a wonderful Sabbath!
Your Brother in Christ,